December 22, 2011

Cranberry Salsa

It's Christmas! 3 more days!
All I do is eat, sit, watch movies, read, bake, go to the gym, and drink hot cocoa. Literally, that's it. Repeat every day. But, it's okay. I have justification:

There have been blizzards. Tropical blizzards. It dumps snow, then the temperature rises to 40 degrees with 90 mph winds and everything melts and eventually turns to sheer ice. I'm not going out in that. So instead, I made salsa. But because it's Christmas and not cinco de mayo, it's festive christmas salsa.

This is all you need plus two jalapeños and sugar!

Cranberry Salsa
1 orange, unpeeled, quartered, and seeded
2 cups fresh or thawed cranberries
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 green bell pepper
1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I use a little more)
1/3 cup pecans, toasted and chopped 

Process orange quarters in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
Add cranberries, sugar, and salt. Pulse until cranberries are coarsely chopped.
Transfer mixture to a bowl and add chopped green pepper, jalapeños, cilantro, and pecans.


(To toast, I just popped the pecans in my microwave for about 2:30)

(Next time, I will wear gloves. Even after multiple handwashings my fingers still burn!)

Once everything is combined, cover and chill for at least an hour. Enjoy with chips or crackers!
Happy Holidays! 

I'm sure you will enjoy this recipe more than Bart the basset hound enjoys bath time...

No comments:

Post a Comment